While people scramble to pay rent and put food on the table during the COVID-19 crisis, our government is considering sinking $15 billion of our money to bailout Big Oil.
$15 billion could go a long way to prop up our healthcare system, put money in the pockets of families in need and ensure that, coming out of the coronavirus crisis people are getting long-term jobs that create a greener and cleaner future.
Putting $15 billion into the hands of corporations right now is downright irresponsible and shows people in Canada who the government really cares about -- Big Oil.
Send a message today to Prime Minister Trudeau and Finance Minister Bill Morneau calling for a people's bailout not a corporate welfare.
It's always more impactful if you send your own message but we've provided some points that you can draw from, or copy and paste into the message.
- You only committed $2 billion to health care but are considering $15 billion to oil companies. We need to put people's live before oil companies' profits
- People across Canada are out of work and struggling to make ends meet. This money should go to people not corporations
- The oil industry is a dying industry and this money could be invested in long-term, green energy and create longer term economic value
- The climate crisis is here and dumping billions into the tar sands only worsens the crisis
- Climate leaders don't bailout oil companies
- Bailouts have not proven, historically, to help maintain jobs for average people. The 2008 auto bailout still saw huge losses in jobs and was a waste of money