Over 18,000 of us have come together to demand that Suncor clean up its toxic tailings mess. Now, the Alberta government regulator is days away from deciding if it will accept or reject Suncor's flawed plan it submitted to the AER.
If Suncor's plan is accepted, it will have until 2085 to clean up millions of litres of toxic tar sands waste using unproven and risky technology doomed to fail. And what's worse: this weak plan will set the bar for the entire tar sands industry.
We need to remind the Alberta Energy Regulator (AER) to make a decision that will serve future generations -- not corporate profits -- and so we're asking you to write an email to the Alberta Energy Regulator now.
Here are some things you can mention in your letter:
- You must reject Suncor's plan because it is not ambitious in any way. Suncor is relying on cheaper technology that is unproven, more risky, and less likely to work.
- Experts know there are other technologies that are more expensive but are more likely to work -- and to work faster.
- There is no way for tailings to be fully cleaned up, but all the options being put forward by companies like Suncor are the least likely to work.
- Suncor, as the first company to file its plan, and the largest oil sands operator, will set the stage for how other companies' plans are evaluated, and the AER needs to ensure this and other plans are more ambitious.
- The Alberta Energy Regulator to uphold its mandate to protect the environment, communities and future generations -- and ensure that Canadian taxpayers won't be on the hook for billions in the future.